Pontefract Home Guard

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontefract Home Guard

A forum for the members of the Pontefract home guard living history group

+2
arnhemsteve
scallywag
6 posters

Easter Crich

scallywag
    scallywag

Easter Crich Empty Easter Crich

Post  scallywag Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:18 pm

First event and unexpectedly over three days, could course some problems with attendence? I for one wouldnt last 2 nights under canvas at this time of year so i intend to go Saturday with kit and go Monday to pick it up. Our duties are mainly still gate guard which should be covered on all 3 day from about 9.00 to around 12.30. we have mainly guest members stopping over some for 2 nights [Mick and London Rich] New Malcolm is coming with some display gear and Mick and Jenny have booked a caravan site so will be there 3 days, Stn said he would travel 3 days perhaps stoppover Sun. and Paul will be there maybe one nights stoppover. Not really got a weak day but need to know from others which day's so ticket allocation can be made and or any further stopovers arranged for [ your pup tent seem the best option], remember it's self catering but cooker,pan, kettle and washing up will be provided.
    arnhemsteve
    arnhemsteve

Easter Crich Empty Re: Easter Crich

Post  arnhemsteve Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:28 am

looks like myself & mum & dad will be day tripping on the bank hols monday. hope this bloody weather warms up??
    scallywag
    scallywag

Easter Crich Empty IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMEENT

Post  scallywag Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:20 am

Found out by chance that the website for Crich says the event is Sunday, Monday [as usual]After checking with the organasiser sure enough it is!!? The booking for is very misleading and says Sat/Sun/ Mon. But in the small print says your welcome to come Friday or Saturday to set up. not very clear, Anyway this changes things slightly in that i may even stay over??? Please be aware if you have made plans.
    Trooper89
    Trooper89

Post  Trooper89 Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:11 am

See you Sunday.
    scallywag
    scallywag

Post  scallywag Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Looks like a decent first event with plenty of us there. I will be going both days but not staying over, will be on the gate from 9 ish with the tickets.
    arnhemsteve
    arnhemsteve

Post  arnhemsteve Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:47 pm

i bet crich looks really pretty in the snow!!!!!!
    Robertsthebob
    Robertsthebob

Easter Crich Empty Crich in the snow?

Post  Robertsthebob Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:21 am

Getting a little anxious about the snow at Crich, but the show will go on if at all possible. KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON.
    Easter Crich Home_g14
    I found this picture in a history of the Cheshire Home Guard. It looks as if we may be re-enacting it next weekend![img][/img]
    Robertsthebob
    Robertsthebob

Post  Robertsthebob Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:29 am

arnhemsteve wrote:i bet crich looks really pretty in the snow!!!!!!
    Mind you, if the snow doesn't stop, this may be the only way to get there!
    Easter Crich Home_g15
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:27 am

whatever the weather ill be there its what great coats are for!
    scallywag
    scallywag

Post  scallywag Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:19 pm

Quite right James, will check and post here if event aborted [perhaps Adrian can do this for us]otherwise it's business as usual [it's usually only the first and last event of the year that we get to wear our balaclavas. Nice pic Adrian, thought it was us.
    S
    Robertsthebob
    Robertsthebob

Post  Robertsthebob Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:35 am

Glad you liked the pic Steve. It shows we're doing something right. Have been up to Crich this morning, and to be honest it's not great up there at the moment. However, the Event is still on and we're remaining confident that the weather will improve for next weekend. We've impressed on our Board Member (volunteer boss) that to pull out now and find the weather fine next weekend would be too embarrassing for the Museum. The final decision won't be made until late Thursday. Doug is working hard on re-arranging the site plan to cope with wet/icy/ snowy conditions. Dunkirk/Blitz spirit and all that.....
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:35 am

as long as you get some grit down i cant see it being as issue

keep up the good work
    EL6
    EL6

Post  EL6 Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:07 pm

I tell you what Mr Bulmer, I ain't looking forward to this Crich business. I do not want nipples like chapel hat pegs..!
    EL6
    EL6

Post  EL6 Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm in a bit of a lather, I have no Balaclava...
    arnhemsteve
    arnhemsteve

Post  arnhemsteve Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:33 am

you,re lucky, i dont even have a greatcoat let alone a balaclava! just goes to show that british airborne were HARD! now i wonder if they had heaters in gliders? hmmm
    EL6
    EL6

Post  EL6 Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:24 am

I actually bought my greatcoat from Crich, it was that bloody cold! You can easily pick up greatcoats, anyway...
    scallywag
    scallywag

Post  scallywag Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:20 pm

Been there in the snow before [thinks that was an early Easter too] lets face it this event with ammo boot studs and cobbles or ice it makes no difference, been practiceing for years for these conditions. lol.
    Robertsthebob
    Robertsthebob

Easter Crich Empty Latest Crich News

Post  Robertsthebob Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:17 am

Update tonight:
    The Event is on. The site has been snowploughed, eager volunteers are clearing all paths, the carpark is clear and the disused quarry next door has been cleared for extra carparking as the adjacent fields will of course be useless!
    All entertainers booked and confirmed. The dance that is normally held in a marquee over the traverser pit in the depot area will take place inside the Great Exhibition Hall next to it - warmer, dryer and cleaner!
    Ample stocks of real ale have been delivered.
    It is likely that the re-enactors entrance that we normally control will be up at the main entrance building. The childrens play area on which the group normally display has not yet been cleared, so bring a shovel.
    Please can Tracey have a list of who will be arriving to set up camp, and when.
    scallywag
    scallywag

Post  scallywag Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks Adrian.
    Weather forcast this am say's plenty of sun for us???on the Sunday. Usual faces arriving before 08.30 Sunday, a quick set up then join you at the entrance.
    Scally
    Robertsthebob
    Robertsthebob

Post  Robertsthebob Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:08 am

Heartfelt thanks to everybody who came to Crich this weekend for the Easter 1940s event. It was great to see you all and to get the 2013 season off to a flying start. After the traumas of the last week getting the snow cleared and the event set up, we were rewarded with sunshine on Sunday, as Scally predicted, and a great turnout of visitors on both days. The presence of the Pontefract Home Guard on the reenactors entrance entertaining the queues was much appreciated, and a lot of fun to be part of.
    Thanks again team, you did us proud.
    Adrian
    scallywag
    scallywag

Post  scallywag Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:39 am

Thanks Adrian. Love the gate good idea to have it next to the public entrance, give's us a chance to interact, not much to do after that. A well done thanks to the members who braved the weather and a bigger well done to those friends who stayed under canvas, an even bigger well done to the Crich team who put in all the hard work to get the event on. As Adrian said on Sunday to many it's the first event and good to catch up.
    arnhemsteve
    arnhemsteve

Post  arnhemsteve Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:27 am

hear hear, a big thank you to all those who did all the hard work to make this event a goer, yes it was cold, but it was great to see everyone again. it does seem that the public attendance was very good despite the weather? hope so? all that hard work deserves it? well done
    EL6
    EL6

Post  EL6 Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:27 pm

TWO sleeping bags resolved the problem of sleeping in a van. Van = fridge! There WAS a surprisingly large amount of public turned up. But I cannot blame anyone fpor buggering off home to a warm bed..! There aer quite a few photographs of us lot in greatcoats on Flickr if anyone's interested.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:53 pm