Pontefract Home Guard

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontefract Home Guard

A forum for the members of the Pontefract home guard living history group

3 posters

Gas Masks and kit

MattWR5
    MattWR5

Gas Masks and kit Empty Gas Masks and kit

Post  MattWR5 Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:40 am

Hello folks;
    Purchased a pair of quite rare anti-gas gloves the other day, to go with my anti gas cape. I am aiming to collect the full range of this as issued to Home Guards to show the cumbersome additional gear the decontamination unit[s] might have had to wear.
    I now need:

Tin of No2 or no5 anti gas ointment
    Anti Gas Boots
    Anti gas Hood
    Anti Gas Helmet cover
    Anti Gas brassard
    Anti Gas paper [haha seems rare as rocking horse poo someone was selling a sheet for £100]
    mittens - supposedly to go inside the yucky sticky anti gas gloves to stop your hands going green
    Over gloves - to go over the anti gas gloves to help protect them!

Golly- what were these people thinking! I dread to think how much the government must have spent on all this stuff, not to mention all the gas masks, that in the end were never needed.

If anyone has any of the above possibly for sale then let me know Smile

I am also looking for an earlier type gas mask with the khaki fabric mask. I have an early Mk7 bag with no mask.

Regards
    Matt

Ps - I think I have a lead on a pair of the overboots...still waiting to hear. [but there is 2 types]
    scallywag
    scallywag

Gas Masks and kit Empty Re: Gas Masks and kit

Post  scallywag Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:38 pm

Reminds me of my Territorial day's, the more i knew about chemical warfare the more i relised i didnt stand a chance with the issued kit.
    MattWR5

Gas Masks and kit Empty 16PFAgroup

Post  MattWR5 Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:18 am

Yes, Steve. Frightening! I wonder if there are figures anywhere to show how much money the government spent on various aspects of ARP from 1936 to 1945.
    Regards
    Matt
    corporal dixon

Gas Masks and kit Empty gas mask

Post  corporal dixon Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:49 pm

mat on ebay before christmas 2 gas maskk kits were on i put them on wtch list full kit s creams and dim tin one was early pat both went for 19 pound i got a first pat one first pat bag dim tim 25 pound at pickering charity shop
    MattWR5
    MattWR5

Post  MattWR5 Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:35 am

That sounds a pretty good buy! Smile

The ointment tins with full tubes and in non rusted condition seem to be getting rarer, maybe because of the anti gas cream being slightly alkaline [has bleach in it] and even the slightest amount will react with the cheap metal tins.

I have seen 3 or 4 full mint tins, all went for over £15 each! Shocked

The local library allowed me to borrow the reference only Brian L Davis book on British Uniforms and Equipment, for a week [kind of them] - I thought I had a copy but no! It has lots of info on the anti gas gear, which is very helpful because it highlights my thinking being wrong. I thought the more quality gear must be later war taking into consideration development and learning. Turns out the cheapo stuff is late war, conserving the better rubber materials for other use! Wink

It even has the correct ACI instruction for covering the gas mask bag with a hessian cover to help reduce wear and tear on the bag itself, so I've made one of mine look pretty much correct in line with this 1942 ACI.

Regards
    Matt
    corporal dixon

Gas Masks and kit Empty mat

Post  corporal dixon Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:10 am

yes got that book but they are getting hard to get hold of someone was doing a reprint but they wernt cheap i have used the one i have a lot web section is good and i took on my grandads serial no he was sergant pioneer burma and the tag lists in the back are all corect
    MattWR5
    MattWR5

Post  MattWR5 Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:41 pm

Well, thats good to know.
    He must have had an interesting, not always good, time in Burma. My great uncle was in the Yorks & Lancs in Burma. They were re-trained in the Chindit role and he died behind enemy lines in 1944 on the 2nd Chindit Operation, must have been awful trying to outwit the Japanese in the dense jungle, low on rations and desperate to link up with the US and Chinese forces.
    corporal dixon

Gas Masks and kit Empty BURMA

Post  corporal dixon Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:51 am

I KNOW MATE HE NEVER SPOKE OF IT TO ME TINK IT BECAUSE I WAS A KID BUT HAVE FOUND OUT SINCE THING HE AND ALL THE LADS OVER THERE HAD TO PUT UP WITH GOD BLESS THEM

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 am